|Blog Home | About | Entries By Date | Search|
Join the DCO Stakeholder Meeting tomorrow, 2pm ET in this meeting room: https://connectcol.dco.dod.mil/collabteam
Recent Comments (1 of 1)
A great one page document that talks more about the split architecture we recently implemented. An easy way for users to understand the capacity that is now available to them.
And if you haven't yet heard.... to use the new site, go to: https://www2.dco.dod.mil & log in to find your meetings. This site is particularly important if you are planning a meeting on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday (when we continually hit capacity on the legacy site) or if you are planning a very large event (and are worried about your attendees being denied access).
Do you need a list of people who attended your briefing or training? Do you want to know how long a specific person was in your session? Are you curious to know how your participants answered poll questions?
Check out this short document from Erik Crawford on how to access reports from DCO Connect activity.
Obtaining the Connect Addin and 'Lightning Download' Process Explained
The Connect Addin is required for screensharing and enhanced audio handling. It also helps with overall performance as well so it is highly encouraged that DCO Connect participants have the Addin instead of just attending DCO Connect sessions with Flash Player in their browser. If a user has the Connect Addin, then Flash Player auto-detects it upon room entry and launches the room with the Addin. The below is a further discussion of how the Addin can be obtained.
The Connect Addin can be obtained three ways:
1. It can be downloaded from the DCO Portal's 'Downloads & Plugings' page and installed on machines. This method typically requires admin rights on the machine. Also, the Addin installs into a user's profile so this may not be a good option if there are multiple users that will be logging into the machine and needing the Addin, or roaming profiles are involved.
2. A variation of the Addin called the 'Addin Checker App' is also available at the same location on the DCO Portal. This version of the Addin is for network admins to push out to machines on their network. It contains the same Addin as #1, but it is more suitable for network pushes because it auto-installs the Addin into a user's profile if they login and do not have it.
3. Directly from within a DCO Connect room. It is available from the 'Help' menu option, but the more common & noticeable way is via a prompt (see screenshot) when a user attempts to perform an action that requires it. On NIPR DCO Connect, if a user clicks through the prompts to obtain it, in most cases it will successfully download and install for them in the background even without admin rights. This 'behind the scenes' seamless method is referred to as 'Lightning Download' and has to do with Flash Player brokering the download & install. (Note: We have noticed that Air Force users have had issues being able to successfully complete the 'Lightning Download' process and believe it is due to AF network policies).
On SIPR DCO Connect, users get the same prompts but instead of 'Lightning Download' process they are redirected to download the Addin and install. Due to the lack of 'Lightning Download' process on SIPR DCO Connect service, this means that in most cases admin rights are required.
Erik Crawford just created a new 'how-to' doc for DCO Recordings. It's attached to this blog post, as well as available with other resources at: http://www.carahsoft.com/dco/upgrade/index.php and https://connect.dco.dod.mil/dco8 .
New Document: Request control of another user's desktop 4
Did you know that DCO allows you to take remote control of another user's computer (as long as that user provides permission)? This can be helpful in allowing two users to edit a document together or for remote helpdesk situations. We've created a document that walks you through how to do this, step by step. It can be found at the Carahsoftt site: http://www.carahsoft.com/dco/documents/RequestControlStepByStep.pdf
Recent Comments (3 of 4)
In the DCO Stakeholder MTG last week we discussed some post Connect 8.2 upgrade known issues that are still lingering. Also wanted to post here in case you weren't able to attend that MTG or watch the recording:
1. During a remote control session, the remote controller is not able to type into the command prompt. Additionally carriage returns do not work ('enter', 'return'). A patch to resolve this issue is being worked and planned for.
2. Some users are experiencing intermittent issues with uploading content to a share pod. Upon completion of upload, instead of the content being displayed the following message is provided: 'The selected document could not be retrieved, please try uploading the document again.' Investigation into this issue is ongoing. Typically a user can get content to display by uploading a second time, or using the share pod menu options to select the content from their 'uploaded content' listing.
Many of you know the importance of a lobby layout to welcome participants into your meeting (before it has begun). We've updated the lobby slides that normally rotate in our lobby layouts to reflect the latest upgrade. Feel free to download and customize them for your own organzation!
Recent Comments (1 of 1)
"How to Enter a DCO Connect Meeting"-- new document
Great new document compliments of two of our users out in ND.
This document provides you with detailed instructions on how to access a DCO Connect room, as well as all the possible reasons you may be running into issues such as DOD Certificates, Security Options in Internet Explorer, and Flash Player.
On 31JUL, Google released the Chrome 21 browser (version 21.0.1180.60 on Windows). This new release of Chrome prevents the Connect Addin from launching. You can still attend a DCO Connect Meeting but the Addin is required for presenter/host capabilities such as screensharing, uploading files, and enhanced audio handling. The technote below provides more details and a workaround until the issue can be resolved.
(NOTE: The technote refers to Connect 8 & 9 but the issue also affects DCO Connect, currently on Connect 7.)
Filter by Date
Filter by TagAll
Rich Internet Apps